Let’s say you are at work and get a call from home telling you that your basement is flooded. What happens next? Hopefully, you won’t need to know, but just in case it does happen, we will give you some advice on how to handle this unfortunate water damage restoration situation.
What You Should Do
Here are the first things you should do:
- Be very careful! Assess any possible safety hazards. You do not want to walk through any standing water because of the potential risk of being electrocuted. If you can, turn off the power in the area before doing anything else.
- Exercise caution. Trying to move too quickly can cause you to slip and fall on a wet surface. If you end up hurting yourself, things will only get worse. The goal is to identify the source of the problem quickly and then shut off the water supply if you are able to get to it safely. If you do not know where to get the water shut off, call a plumber. They should be able to take care of that.
- Call your water damage restoration experts (that’s us!) us as soon as possible! The faster we can get the water removed and your property dried and dehumidified, the less the damage is likely to be.
- Then, contact your insurance company as soon as you can. You don’t want to try to repair anything until your insurance company has documented everything.
- Fast action: We know that it is extremely important to get to work on the damage as soon as it has been discovered. Our goal is to minimize the damage to your property as much as we possibly can.
- Advanced drying: We use state-of-the-art heated TES drying systems that will get your home or business back to where it needs to be. Your carpet, hardwood floors, drywall and most other types of flooring can be dried. We use heat because not only will your property dry faster than it normally would, but the heat also helps prevent the growth of mold.
- Contents and possession cleaning: If you have items that are damaged or dirtied, we will take your possessions to our warehouse for cleaning. They will be securely stored until we can return them. For anything that has been damaged beyond repair, our team will create a detailed inventory to determine what needs to be replaced. This will be done under your supervision.
- Tobin Cleaning & Restoration also has the latest in cleaning technology – the Esporta iS4000. This cleans most soft items (clothing, shoes, toys, etc.) to their pre-disaster conditions. We are the ONLY restoration company in southeast Idaho that operates with this level of technology.
- Sewage decontamination: If you are unfortunate enough to have sewage damage, our team will perform the necessary extraction to get the mess cleaned up for you. If needed, all of those contaminated areas will be removed. This includes drywall, carpet, carpet and contents. Any items that are damaged from contamination will also be cataloged and reported.
- Repair and reconstruction: Now that the damage to your home has been cleaned, it is time to begin the reconstruction phase. It is our goal to have your property back to its original condition — or even better! We have a construction team that is full of experienced carpenters who can rebuild the areas of your home or business that have been damaged. And they do it with skill and workmanship.
- Final cleaning: When the necessary reconstruction has been completed, we will do a final sweep of the area just to make sure that everything in the affected areas has been cleaned, deodorized and disinfected. This will include everywhere that our technicians have walked through, moved items into or worked in. It is our job to leave your home in the same condition it was before the damage, or better.
About Tobin Cleaning & Restoration
We have been there for Idaho families dealing with water damage restoration since 1972. A lot has changed in that time, but one thing that hasn’t — our commitment to restoring your home and belongings! We never outsource the work because nobody else can meet our level of quality. We are with you from start to finish through the water damage restoration process. Call us anytime, 24/7, if you have water damage. We are always here for you and we’ll do a free consultation and inspection of the damage.