It is one of the biggest headaches a homeowner can have. No, not a neighbor with animals that are out of control — although that can be a big problem as well. We’re talking about water flooding inside your home. What do you do? Here are some helpful tips for water damage repair — should it come to that. And as always call Tobin Restoration if you need assistance.
Water Damage Repair Advice
First, and most importantly, be very careful to do everything safely. Second, you’ll want to make sure that the power is shut off so there is no electricity in the underwater areas. Then, get the water shut off to prevent any more water from worsening your situation. Once the water and power are off, then what?
- Don’t hesitate. It won’t take long for the water damage to start adding up. One way you can help your cause is by knowing what kind of water you are dealing with. There are three types.
- Clean water — This would be coming from rain or broken pipes. This is the best option for water damage repair. If you have the ability, you can try to clean this up yourself.
- Gray water — This water isn’t clean, but it definitely could be worse. Gray water comes from appliances in your home like the washing machine and dishwasher. This type of water may have some contaminants in it. We recommend using a water damage repair professional to remove this water.
- Black water — This is where things get nasty. Black water comes from heavy flooding out of a river or sewage. This poses some serious health risks because it has waste, bacteria, and probably some additional contaminants. Do not try to clean this yourself. Tobin Restoration has the expertise necessary to get this job done.
- Mold can be there in as little as 24 hours. You should make a thorough examination of anything that may need water damage repair in your search for mold. Mold that is not properly dealt with can lead to health problems because mold can be toxic. If you find a serious mold problem, you should stop airflow in the area, get out of there, and call your water damage repair experts.
- Drying the area is vital. You can use fans to circulate air. If you don’t have fans, or enough fans, you may need to rent a big dehumidifier to get the job done. You’ll need to make sure that there is no moisture left after the water damage repair process.
- The ceiling should be your first priority. Wet sections of a ceiling should be removed (if necessary) first because of the risk that they could fall on their own. Then you’ll need to identify the cause of the water in your ceiling and make sure that is taken care of to prevent future damage. Contact our professional team for assistance.
- When drywall is damaged, it can be tricky to determine how much of it should be removed and replaced. As a general rule, when 3/8 of an inch or more from the baseline has been compromised — you are going to want to replace the whole sheet. Don’t forget about the insulation inside the drywall either. If the drywall is ruined, then the insulation may very well be ruined as well.
- Disinfecting will need to be done after the damaged parts have been removed. Do this to the entire area. You can do this with bleach. There are plenty of bleach solutions that should work. Normally, it just requires a light spray and wipe down to remove the mold spores.
About Tobin Cleaning & Restoration
We are here for you anytime, 24/7, if you need water damage repair. We proudly serve the Idaho Falls area and the surrounding cities from Alpine to Rexburg to Pocatello and everywhere in between. Tobin Restoration has been there for Idaho families needing water damage repair since 1972. A lot has changed in that time, but one thing that hasn’t — our commitment to restoring your home and belongings! We are with you from start to finish through the entire process and we’ll do a free estimate and inspection of the damage.