By: Michelle Tunquist
Stop spending hours on your knees with a toothbrush trying to get the grout on your tile floor clean. A professional grout cleaning will not only save your sanity, but will also make maintaining your grout more easy in the future. Once the grout is professionally cleaned, sealing the grout will keep it looking fresh and make it easier to keep clean.
Why Get Grout Professionally Cleaned?
A deep, professional grout cleaning can remove dirt and leave your grout looking new. No matter how often you clean your grouts, a professional clean will make a noticeable difference in its appearance. The following are reasons why grout needs to be maintained:
- Grout Absorbs. Grout is made up of a porous material that absorbs everything it comes in contact with: moisture, spilled liquids, soap, dirt, and oils from your body. Over time this can discolor and stain your grout.
- Moist Environment. Most tile is located in the bathroom and kitchen. These are warm, moist areas which make them the ideal location for mold, mildew and bacteria to grow.
- Regular Cleaning. Since they are constantly absorbing moisture and dirt, and are located where mold and mildew can grow, they need to be cleaned regularly. This may not be fun, but it is essential to keep them looking great.
- Prevent Cracks. Properly maintaining grout will prevent it from breaking down and forming cracks. Breakdown of the grout can cause more problems. If moisture seeps into the area behind the tile, problems can occur, like mold growth and water damage.
In addition to regular do-it-yourself cleaning, a professional cleaning can make a real difference in the appearance of your grout. Overtime soap scum and dirt buildup in your grout, and often your regular routine of mopping or wiping doesn’t quite get all the dirt. Professional cleaning can get to the dirt that you can’t seem to remove—simply because we have the right tools. You should get your tile cleaned every six to twelve months depending on how often the area is used.
Why Seal Grout?
As mentioned, grout is porous and absorbs dirt, soap, and anything it comes in contact with. Spills on your tile floor will absorb into the grout, and soap scum in your shower will absorb into the grout there. Because of its porous nature, grout must be sealed to keep dirt from getting absorbed. This is something that is often forgotten when the tile is installed, and can wear down over time. The good news is that it isn’t too late to seal your grout. Grout should be sealed at least once a year in highly used areas. However, if you just seal it when it is dirty, you will be sealing all that dirt into the grout. Before you seal, make sure to get the grout professionally cleaned so that you are sealing fresh, clean grout that looks like new. Sealing your grout will make the grout look better for longer and prevent dirt from being absorbed.
How Do I Keep It Clean Between Professional Cleanings?
There are many things you can do to keep your floors looking great between professional cleanings. Follow these tips and keep your grout looking great year round.
- Use Entry Mats. Place mats at entry points into tiled areas. This prevents carrying in dirt, resulting in less dirt to clean and remove.
- Vacuum Regularly. Dirt can be moved from one part of your home to others. Keeping your carpet vacuumed will reduce dirt and result in less being tracked onto your tile floors.
- Sweep Regularly. Don’t let dirt sit and settle on your tile floor. Sweep regularly to keep the grouts clean.
- Avoid Spills. Do what you can to avoid spills whenever possible. Sit kids at the table to eat, and don’t walk around with food or drinks. Accidents will happen, but prevention is important when possible.
- Clean Spills Immediately. Don’t let the spill sit there and allow it to absorb into the grout on your floor. Clean it up right away. If you can’t seem to get the stain out, call Tobin Restoration and Cleaning.
- Mop and Rinse Floors. You should clean high traffic areas at least once a week. Make sure to use only cleaners that will not harm the tile or grout.
Who Should I Call for a Professional Grout Clean in Idaho?
Tobin Cleaning and Restoration should be your go to for a professional grout cleaning in Idaho Falls. We will make your grout look like new and seal it so that it can stay fresh for a long time. Call us today to learn more about our professional grout cleaning service.