By: Michelle Tunquist
With the New Year comes New Year’s resolutions. It is a great time to make goals, try something new or make some changes. This year, make your home a place where you want to spend your time. Take a moment to consider some resolutions for your home.
Get Your Carpet Professionally Cleaned
Clean carpets can make a huge difference in the comfort and cleanliness of your home. The fibers can hold smells, and dirt can get ground in. Not only will a clean carpet look great, but it will also improve the smell of your home. Fresh, clean carpets feel great on your feet, and make your home a place where your family will want to gather. A popular resolution is to spend more time with your family. A great way to encourage everyone to spend time together at home is to have clean carpets. While regular vacuuming and spot cleaning are important to maintaining your carpet, getting it professionally cleaned once a year is important for preserving the life of the carpet and its warranty. This New Year take the time to schedule a professional carpet cleaning.
Prevent Bathroom Mold
Moist areas are prime growing spots for mold and mildew. Not surprisingly, bathrooms especially make ideal habitats for mold and mildew from wet shower walls and curtains. Mold is a pain to clean, so take some steps this year to prevent it from growing.
- Use Ceiling Fans. Fans in the bathroom keep air circulating, reduce steam and allow your bathroom to dry faster.
- Leave Door & Windows Open. After your shower leave the door open to the bathroom so that the air can continue to circulate and allow the area to dry faster. If your window has a bathroom, consider opening it to help with circulation and drying.
- Stretch Out the Shower Curtain. When you are done with your shower, take a moment to stretch your shower curtain back out. If it stays bunched to the side, it will take longer to dry and create a perfect spot for mold to grow.
- Seal Your Grout. Once a year, reseal your grout to keep it waterproof. This simple step will make your grout last longer and prevent mold.
- Clean. No one likes it, but an important step in mold prevention is regular cleaning. Make sure to clean the bathroom once a week using cleaning supplies that will clean up mold and mildew.
Make a Safety Plan
No one wants to think that a disaster will occur and leave them scrambling to repair their homes and their lives. Make a goal this year to be prepared by making a safety plan. Figure out what your family will do if a disaster occurs, whether it be fire, storm or a burst pipe. While a plan won’t eliminate all stress, it will help to know what to do just in case. It is difficult to plan when in the midst of a disaster, so it is important to make the plans before anything happens.
- Determine a safe place for the family to meet. If there is a fire in the home, it is important for everyone to know where to go. Discuss with your family how to get out of the home and where to meet. Talk about different potential disasters and determine a course of action.
- Make sure to have alarms for smoke and carbon monoxide. Have the alarms and test them regularly so that you know they work.
- Purchase homeowners or renters insurance. If there is a disaster, it will be important to have insurance so that you can recover and replace your home or items in it.
- Make a home inventory. Make your insurance claim easier by making a home inventory so that you can detail what was lost, especially for large or expensive purchases.
- Know where to switch off water to the home. If a pipe were to burst, would you know how to stop the water? Limit the damage by knowing where to turn off the water if the unexpected happens.
Do That Project
Somehow, good intentions have a way to get pushed off. Everyone has a household project that keeps getting procrastinated. Whether it be removing the ugly wallpaper from the previous owner, painting a wall, or patching a hole, take the time to get it done this year. It will feel good to finally finish the project and it will make your home that much more enjoyable. Stop procrastinating. Make the time to change that light fixture, hang some curtains or refinish that dresser. Been thinking about adding on to the house? Maybe this is the year to make it happen.
Take Some Me Time
How does taking some me time help improve your home? Let someone else do the work. Hire someone to deep clean your house while you relax, or stop worrying about cleaning the grout by hiring a professional. You don’t have to do it all alone. Tobin Cleaning & Restoration can do all the work, while you just breathe. We can handle a variety of projects:
- Carpet Cleaning
- Upholstery Cleaning
- Tile & Grout Cleaning
- Household Cleaning
- Mold Removal
- Restoration Work
Start the year off right by making some goals to improve your home this year. Let Tobin Cleaning & Restoration help. Give us a call today to learn about our many services.