Unpleasant odors lurking about the house are a quick way to make any living situation disagreeable. Sometimes we know where the odors are hiding, and sometimes the odor just seems to permeate the space without an easily identifiable source. Other times we become nose blind to the smells in our home and don’t realize that something smelly has taken root. Many products just mask stinky smells and don’t get rid of them. Here are some tips to eliminate odors and keep your house smelling fresh.
- Clean Regularly. The most effective way to prevent odors is to clean regularly. Any room, especially bathrooms and kitchens will hold odors if not cleaned regularly. Mold and mildew smell, and they can also affect the health of your home. Areas prone to mold and mildew should be cleaned on a frequent basis to eliminate odors.
- Remove Trash & Clean Garbage Cans. Stinky garbage is a big cause of odors in the home. Take out trash frequently and store them in sealed garbage cans. Sometimes liquid and other food items miss the liner and collect at the bottom of the can. Take the time to clean out the can to remove unpleasant odors.
- Check the Sink. Food, hair, and soap scum can build up in drains and garbage disposals. If everything else is clean, the smell just might be coming from the drains or disposal. Take the time to clean out those drains and ultimately freshen the smell of your home.
- Don’t Forget the Dishwasher. Most people forget to clean the dishwasher since it is used to clean the dishes daily. Unfortunately, regular use doesn’t keep the dishwasher clean. Take the time to clean out the dishwasher.
- Take Care of Dirty Laundry. Stinky laundry can make for a stinky home. Wash stinky laundry right away. Wet clothes or rags placed in the laundry basket make a great place for odor causing bacteria and mold to grow. Prevent that from happening by washing wet items as soon as possible.
- Sponges Smell Too. If you use a sponge to wash dishes, you may overlook cleaning that item. However, sponges can hold onto odors too. Get rid of smells in sponges by washing them in the laundry or soak them in water mixed with bleach.
- Refrigerator Refreshing. It is easy to overlook the smells coming from the refrigerator. Getting rid of those smells may be as simple as tossing out old food. Sometimes spills in the refrigerator that aren’t cleaned up right away can also cause an odor problem. Try to keep spills cleaned up when they happen, and do a thorough cleaning every once in awhile too.
- Carpet Holds Odor. Fabric tends to hold onto odors. Frequent vacuuming, spot cleaning as spills occur, and yearly carpet cleaning can help remove odors and keep your home smelling great. If you have pets or young children, you may find that you will need to clean your carpets more often.
- Upholstery and Curtains Too. Your furniture and curtains can also hold in smells, especially if you have pets. Get your upholstery professional cleaned yearly or more often if needed. Make sure to check tags before washing curtains.
- Pet Smells. Pets are notorious for bringing smells into the house. If you have pets, clean up any messes they make as soon as they occur. Frequently wash pet beds, and think about having your carpet and upholstery professionally cleaned more often.
- Stinky Shoes. There is no doubt that shoes can stink. If you can’t find the smell in your home, check those shoes. Shoes need to be washed too. If you can’t run them through the washer, soak the inserts in vinegar and water, or sprinkle them with baking soda.
Professional Odor Removal
Sometimes, despite regular cleaning, and special deep cleaning efforts, odors persist. It may be time to look into professional odor removal. Tobin Cleaning and Restoration offers services that can help remove persistent odors.
- Deodorization. Tobin Cleaning and Restoration has the tools to remove persistent odors. We use the Sonozaire ozone and Hydroxyl generation systems to get rid of any odors in your home. Depending on your needs, we can create a plan to make your air smell fresh again.
- Deep Cleaning. We can also do household deep cleaning so that you don’t have to. Whether you need wall cleaning, contents cleaning or sanitation, we can help.
- Contents Cleaning. We can clean any of the contents of your house, even if it requires special care. Whatever you need cleaned, we can make a custom plan to get the job done.
- Specialized Cleaning. No matter what you need cleaned, give Tobin Restoration and Cleaning a call. We offer specialized cleaning of the items in your home.
Call Tobin Cleaning and Restoration Today!
Regular cleaning should help prevent odors from overwhelming your home. However, even with regular cleaning, sometimes it is necessary to call in the experts. Every home should have carpets professionally cleaned on a regular basis, and upholstery needs professional attention too. Keep your home smelling fresh by calling Tobin Restoration and Cleaning today!