Fire Safety for the Holidays

Idaho Falls Fire Damage Prevention

It’s important to remember fire safety during the holiday season. Here are a few tips to keep in mind, so that you can have a happy and safe holiday

  • Fire Extinguisher: For starters, make sure that you own and know how to operate a fire extinguisher. Keep it nearby, in an easily accessible location.
  • Trees: Purchase a fire-resistant artificial tree, or a fresh, live one.  Place it away from fireplaces, radiators or portable heaters. Cut a few inches off the trunk of your tree to expose the fresh wood. This allows for better water absorption and will help to keep your tree from drying out and becoming a fire hazard.
  • Lights: Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. Before using lights outdoors, check labels to be sure they have been certified for outdoor use. Turn off all lights when you go to bed or leave the house.
  • Decorations: Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to trim a tree. Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens. Remove all wrapping papers, bags, paper, ribbons and bows from tree and fireplace areas after gifts are opened.
  • Candles: Keep burning candles within sight and away from items that can burn easily, including trees, evergreens and other decorations. Always use non-flammable holders such as a fire-safe plate or proper candle holder.
  • Turkey Fryers: Use outdoors away from buildings and flammable materials. Never use on wooden decks or in garages, and never leave them unattended. Follow instructions carefully. In the event of a grease fire, never use water. Immediately call 911 for help, and then use an extinguisher.
Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Scroll to Top