Mold Removal Jackson
If you have found mold or suspect mold in your home it is vital that it is taken care of by professionals sooner rather than later. There are many places within your home or business where mold can be found, it may even have been growing for an extended period of time without you knowing. Mold is a problem that continues to grow and isn’t something that you should take care of yourself. At Tobin Restoration, we are trained for mold testing and removal and want to help you through the remediation process to get your home or business safe again.
What is Mold?
Mold is put into the fungi category and it thrives on dead organic matter like paper, wood, and fabric but can live on other surfaces. It is spores that reproduce and spread if there is sufficient moisture and food such as dead organic matter. If there is a mold problem within your home or business, the culprit is likely a water problem causing it to grow on your drywall, carpet, or wood. Having mold on these structural components of your home is not good because the mold causes them to decompose. Mold within your home or business can be from a leaking pipe or an abundance of moisture within an area.
If you have a concern about mold, here are a few signs that mold may be present in your home or business:
- Musty smell
- Visible mold on walls
- Small discoloration in rooms that have high moisture, like a shower room
- Asthma flare-ups
- Persistent cough or cold
- Allergy like symptoms
Mold Remediation Process
The first step we take is to come and assess the mold problem. This allows us to plan accordingly when it comes time for treatment and find out if there is any structural damage from the mold. Once we have a plan, we come back to your home or business with our certified solution that will kill the mold and sanitize the area. The solution will also deodorize the area. As we are treating the mold, we may find that it has grown into your walls and we can take care of that as well. The solution that we use is safe for children and pets.
How To Prevent Mold
Once you have professionals come to your home or business for remediation of the mold it is important that you make some changes so the mold does not come back. Mold thrives in areas that have warmer temperatures and adequate moisture. In order to ensure that mold does not start to grow again, you need to decrease the moisture in that area. Many times, it can start from a leak in the roof or a link in the sink that causes regular moisture where it shouldn’t be. Or it could be from not keeping the bathroom fan on long enough after a hot shower. Wherever the excess moisture is coming from, be sure to get it fixed. Proper ventilation is very important so places such as the attic, bathroom, laundry room, and kitchen to prevent mold. If you have one room that causes you problems, put a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air. Lastly, if there are water spills be sure to clean them up thoroughly and without delay. Mold loves moisture, if you can keep the moisture under control the mold cannot thrive.
Effects of Mold
For some, there may not be any symptoms or health problems that arise from exposure to mold, and if you do experience side effects, they are typically not serious. Mold is an allergen, anyone within the home or business that is sensitive to allergens will be an irritant to those individuals. If allergic to mold it would be shown through sneezing, a runny nose, coughing, watery eyes, and congestion like any other allergy symptoms. If there is a large amount of mold within a home or business and the amount of time spent within that area is significant it can cause health problems that would be related to asthma such as wheezing and shortness of breath. Mold is not healthy for an individual to breathe in but most times is not life-threatening.
A big concern with mold is the damage that it can cause to a structure. Mold grows and feeds on dead organic matter such as wood, drywall, and more. These items are what make up a home or building most of the time, so it can be detrimental to the structure if mold goes undetected for long periods of time. The mold decomposes those materials to the point of decay and they are no longer structurally sound. This can be scary because most structures are framed and held up by wood, if that wood is to decay, the structure could collapse. If you begin to have a mold or moisture problem, take care of it while it is small and containable rather than letting it become a structural problem.
Why Tobin Restoration?
At Tobin Restoration, we are IICRC certified and trained to work with mold so you don’t have to. We hire team members that take extra precautions to keep you and your belongings safe during the mold remediation process. We know that it can be scary and we want you to feel safe once you get back into your home or business. Using a solution that is safe for children and pets, you won’t have to be worried about coming back into your home. We will take care of your home like it is our own. Call us to see how we can help you to feel safe in your home after mold.
Q: Do you work with insurance?
A: We do work with all kinds of insurance. Not all insurance plans cover mold remediation but we will get in contact with your insurance to find out.
Q: Will the mold grow back?
A: Once we have come in and done our part of the mold remediation it will be up to you to prevent the mold from coming back. You will need to ensure that there isn’t a water problem, use a dehumidifier, and have good ventilation in the room. Doing all of these things will give you the best chances of the mold not returning.
Q: Can I remove the mold myself?
A: We do not recommend you try to remove mold on your own, especially if it has overtaken a large area. There is safety gear that should be worn and a certified solution that is used to take care of the mold. We do not want you to put yourself at risk of breathing in mold spores or spreading them.
Q: How can I prevent mold damage?
A: Act fast when water leaks occur! Check faucets and pipes regularly to make sure they are working and sealed correctly. If water has leaked, make sure that the area has been thoroughly dried.